Application Deadline: 16 February 2018
How to apply: Email email@example.com with your CV/resume and brief cover letter or email introducing yourself with the subject line: Country Director
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
About the Company
Copia Global is bringing ecommerce to low-middle income people in the developing world, transforming this historically neglected market into empowered global consumers. It is the best of Amazon plus Fedex plus a healthy dose of BoP expertise. Just as the Sears catalog revolutionized life in the pioneer days of the United States, Fedex revolutionized distribution and Amazon revolutionized life in the internet age, Copia is similarly creating a whole new medium to reach low-middle income consumers.
By making accessible a wide range of trusted, reliable consumer goods - from rice to motorcycles, from mattresses to hammers, from soap to solar lights - Copia improves the quality of life for consumers at the middle and base of the economic pyramid. The advent of mobile technologies is the game changer, enabling Copia to provide a profitable, high quality service to low income people for the first time in history.
With $5T of annual income, the peri-urban and rural populations of the developing world represent a huge untapped market opportunity. These populations remain underserved with no trusted, affordable access to reliable, basic necessities. Using mobile technologies, Copia Global can connect billions of people with the global economy, thereby enhancing their lives.
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2013, Copia started its operations in Kenya and is now serving 2,000 locations throughout central Kenya, generating more than $500,000 in monthly revenues and growing at 10% per month.
Please see www.copiaglobal.com to learn more.
About the Position
Got early stage entrepreneurial energy? Ready for a muddy boots experience? Want to build the next Amazon on the new frontier? Copia Global is at an exciting time in its growth and is looking for a great leader to set up and run its next country operation. There is no specific pre-determined previous work experience for Country Director, provided you have strong general management experience. Experience working previously in Uganda is a strong advantage. The most important qualities of a successful business head are ambition, organization, drive, intellect, problem solving and respectfulness. As this is the first new country we are migrating to, this is a senior leadership position with tremendous potential for rapid advancement when we do multi-country deployment.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Learn every step of the Copia operational business model and the key requirements of each critical role in the model. This will require spending time with the team in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Help set up Copia operations in Uganda. You will work with the Expansion Lead to craft and test best market entry strategy.
- Where necessary for instances unique to Uganda, create highly-structured, insightful processes, systems and recommendations with a data-driven approach; alongside senior executives.
- Help recruit and manage the in-country team. Interface with and leverage team support from global headquarters.
- Coach and develop the country team to ensure they are as effective as possible.
- Be the employee experience ambassador ensuring we have great employee engagement in Uganda.
- Support the Copia Global CEO.
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Passion for Copia’s vision of leveraging technology to empower the BOP consumer in every way possible.
- At least 5 years post-graduate, full time work experience.
- Experience of at least one role which required highly independent work in an exceedingly challenging environment.
- Work experience at top institutions balanced by a demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship and data-driven decision-making, including the ability to flourish in dynamic, ambiguous environments.
- Work experience in emerging markets preferably Uganda.
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate institution and, if attended, graduate institution.
- Work experience, preferably in development or operations, as an employee at any company that has rapidly grown in headcount and number of locations, e.g., large scale retail.
- A detailed doer – You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network in Uganda from prior experience in the country.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. Those challenges are only magnified in the environment in which Copia operates.
- A customer advocate – Our customers never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
Key Competencies & Behaviors
- Collaborates well with colleagues in country and those based in Kenya.
- Looks for advice from experienced Copia employees and feels good about doing this.
- Able to dig-deep into the details at all times and makes good decisions on the back of this.
- Understands each function to a good level of detail.
- Demanding of the team and support team to get things done.
- Shows ability to work at the lowest level, and the highest level as applicable.
- Data-driven ensuring all decisions are based on data-based facts.
- Judgements are made upon understanding the data available to them.
- Transparent in their approach and nothing gets hidden.
- If there are challenges or concerns, these are raised, discussed, and we focus on moving on.
- Accepts and learns from feedback each and every day.
- Shares the experiences, ideas and strategies.
- Strong team player and doesn’t always have to be the leader.
- Joins in with all discussions in meetings.
- Leads a team and ensures they are successful in all that they do.
- Makes sure their team is working to the same competencies.
- Lots to do so, must engage and lead the team.
- Compensation will be in the form of a base salary commensurate with experience, equity and a performance-based bonus.