Deputy director business operations
Application Deadline: 16 July 2018
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/resume and brief cover letter or e-mail introducing yourself with the subject line: Deputy Director Business Operations
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
About the Company
A Global Healthcare Public Foundation (AGHPF) is a not for profit organization dedicated to alleviating the burden of HIV/AIDS through community public health, policy advocacy and education and training. AGHPF works internationally providing technical assistance to develop effective diagnostic, research and public health laboratory systems and expand access to quality diagnostic testing services. With over 12 years' experience in over 12 countries on two continents, it is recognized internationally as a leader in laboratory quality practice.
The Deputy Director Business Operations core duty will be to ensure accountable and functional management systems in Administration, Finance and Operations of all the Foundations key business units. He/She is a strategic thought-partner who will play a critical role in leading the senior leadership team in strategic decision making, overall financial management and administration of the Foundation and will provide management support and oversight in the implementation of program activities.
Reporting to the Director, he/she will be responsible for the following:
- Broader strategic Business development with current donors and new partners.
- Drive strategy by establishing and implementing short-and-long-range goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures for the government relations support function; monitor and evaluates program effectiveness; effects changes required for improvement.
- Work with key stakeholders on consultative efforts to drive organizational objectives.
- Provide strategic and functional leadership to in-country teams.
- Identify and Nurture potential partnerships.
- Provide oversight and support the overall project management, implementation, and operational logistics functions.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for the Donor and oversee all financial, project accounting.'
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the Internal finance team and HQ; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the PI and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Advise and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present financial matters to the Director.
- Provide direction and guidance in the development and maintenance of robust risk management policies and practices.
- Ensure that all project financial management, procurement and human resource practices are in compliance with AGHPF policy and U.S. government regulations.
Key Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum of Masters level degree, MBA/CPA/MPH or related degree.
- At least 5-10 years of senior management/leadership experience; ideally 6+ years of financial and administrative management experience in any mid-size service industry.
- Experience overseeing financial activities, including procurement, budget development, accounting, and grants management as it pertains to the overarching project.
- Leadership and coaching experience.
- Long term visionary and strategist.
- Relationship building and management.
- Strong supervisory and mentoring skills, with demonstrated ability to craft and implement project work plans.
- Ability to translate financial concepts into and effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- US Government grants management experience will be an added advantage.