East Africa Finance Manager
Application Deadline: 11 May 2018
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/resume and brief cover letter or e-mail introducing yourself with the subject line: East Africa Finance Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda (with flexibility and travel across regional offices in Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi)
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
About the Company
Spark MicroGrants was founded in 2010 to prove community-driven development can be done at scale. Spark has designed a novel approach for launching communities facing poverty into action and has partnered with over 150 villages across Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Ghana. Of the village projects backed by Spark, 94 percent are sustaining, 77 percent have launched secondary projects independently of Spark and 90 percent have continued to host regular community meetings where they discuss important topics, such as land disputes and new initiatives. These metrics indicate Spark partner communities graduate from the process with a commitment to continued local change.
The Finance Manager will play a critical role in managing Spark’s budget, financial systems and finance team as Spark transitions to become a training organization and executing training across East Africa. Critical to the role will be ensuring strong bookkeeping, fiscal health and team. The Finance Manager will directly manage a finance teams across Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi and report to the Spark leadership team. The position will provide an excellent opportunity for a great candidate with finance experience to take on a leadership role in a rapidly growing organization and take on increased responsibilities over time.
Spark team members are passionate about our vision to help create a world where everyone will live with dignity and define their own positive future. At Spark our values are what define us and shape the work that we do. Our values are:
- Facilitators. We don’t impose; we enable others to generate impact.
- Community-driven. We are motivated by what is best for the community.
- Process-centered. The how of what we do is just as important as the what.
- Authentic. Our vision and values live in everything we do.
- Dynamic. We seek opportunities and are willing to take risks to serve our community partners better.
o Support in the strategic planning and budgeting process across three country programs
o Capacity build, develop and manage finance teams across three country
- Financial Management
o Oversee financial management across three countries, including direct management of finance staff in Burundi, Rwanda and Uganda
o Develop in-country budgets along with financial reports and projections
o Train staff and implementing partners on financial processes and procedures and conduct regular audit reports on this
- Bookkeeping and accounting
o Ensure quality of bookkeeping entries done by the field team and conduct internal audits and regular spot checks
o Manage Kampala HQ book keeping
o Prepare financial statements, to include balance sheet and income statements, for the East Africa leadership team
- BA in Economics, Mathematics, Finance, or Accounting
- Excellent non-profit financial and accounting knowledge; at least three years of professional experience, which include management of financial statements, budgets, in non-profits
- Experience directly managing staff
- Affinity for community-driven development
- Master’s Degree, such as a MBA, CPA, or MPA
- Experience with NetSuite and Salesforce
- Financial audit and report