Application Deadline: 14 August 2018
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/resume and brief cover letter or email introducing yourself with the subject line: Financial Controller
Location: Jinja, Uganda
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
About the Company
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Uganda. 80% of Ugandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished.
This job is suitable for an experienced accountant who is looking to challenge themselves in a relatively young company that is keen to improve financial reporting processes. We are looking for a superstar who will be able to not just handle all of our financial control and reporting processes in Uganda but should have the ability to analyse where there are weaknesses in our systems and processes and suggest where improvements can be made. As such the candidate will be an important addition to the management team: they will head the finance and administrative team in Uganda, and will report directly to the Managing Director of Uganda.
This role also offers the opportunity to learn a whole host of new skills as the candidate will be required to work closely with the operations team and will be expected to have an in-depth knowledge of operational processes with an eye to spotting weaknesses and improving efficiencies. The candidate will have the support of the Global Finance Manager who will assist in their professional development.
The candidate will be responsible for financial control and reporting in Uganda and as such will be responsible for:
- Management of the finance and administrative team including:
- Overseeing bookkeeping and journal postings for billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, COGS close and revenue recognition.
- Overseeing the payroll process.
- Overseeing the filing process for customer receipts and supplier invoices.
- Supporting and educating new district staff in basic financial processes.
- Month end close including:
- Balance sheet reconciliations.
- Production of management accounts.
- Variance reporting against budget and prior year.
- Monthly and quarterly taxes (TPR, CSR, WHT & VAT) and other regulatory reporting.
- Production of annual financial statements and management of the audit process.
- Treasury which will include:
- Overseeing the budgeting process.
- Distributing budgets to budget holders.
- Bank and petty cash control.
- Working closely with the operations team to monitor operational data which impacts the financial results. Gathering insights on this data and making suggestions to improve financial performance.
- Monitoring controls and suggesting improvements.
- Other ad hoc financial analysis projects.
- MFI partnership and special projects.
- Minimum part qualified CPA or equivalent professional exams. A masters in accounting or finance only will not be sufficient. The candidate should have a strong grasp of financial accounting.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a financial accounting role preferably in a management accounting or audit.
- Experience managing a team.
- Fluent in English.
- Strong computer skills particularly in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Commitment to excellence, outstanding work ethic, and attention to detail
- Prior experience of month end close process.
- Prior experience using Quickbooks accounting software.
- Knowledge of the Ugandan tax system.
- First time passes of professional exams.
- Experience creating financial statements.
- Experience identifying weaknesses in controls and implementing changes.