Deadline: 25 October, 2017
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/resume and brief email introducing yourself with the subject line: Fundraising Officer
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
About the Company:
FINCA Impact Finance is a global provider of responsible financial services and aims to achieve massive financial inclusion in challenging markets around the world. For low income women and men who need access to responsible and affordable financial services, FINCA Impact Finance’s network of 21 community based banks offers finance products that empower people to take control of their financial future. FINCA Impact Finance is leveraging the power of technology to put financial power in the hands or around the corner from our customers, no matter where they live. With 30 years of experience and a global staff of over 10,000, FINCA Impact Finance delivers a double bottom line of profitability and social impact.
With headquarters in Washington, D.C., our goal at FINCA International is to provide low-income people around the world the tools they need to succeed. FINCA’s programs benefit millions of people across five continents. We do that by offering responsible financial services, such as small loans or savings accounts; by reaching people in remote communities using technology like mobile phones and tablets; and by providing access to life-enhancing products, like solar lanterns and clean cook stoves.
Reporting to and working in partnership with the Director Business Development Africa and MESA, FINCA Impact Finance, the Fundraising Officer, Africa Region, pursues fundraising and partnership opportunities and provides grants management support for FINCA’s Africa region. This position also interfaces closely with the Africa subsidiary management teams and will be based in one of the locations where FINCA operates in Africa.
- Works closely with the Director of Business Development in identifying, pursuing and securing donor funds for FINCA’s Africa’s Region;
- Maps, researches and identifies new funding prospects that are aligned with country level and regional priorities;
- Tracks and researches upcoming request for proposals and solicitations and determines alignment with FINCA’s core business and strengths;
- Develops and edits well written, winning and thoughtful concept notes, grant proposals, and budgets for donors;
- Collaborates with subject matter experts in the region as needed to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be created for idea and proposal development
- Meets proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval;
- Takes time to understand industry best practices (microfinance, DFS, agriculture) and uses that for effective proposal writing.
- Works closely with the Director of Business Development and subsidiary management in identifying, and securing appropriate partnerships in the region that can further FINCA’s strategies (e.g., INGOs, vendors, Fintechs, etc.);
- Networks with local counterparts to obtain intelligence on potential donors, partners, service providers.
- Works with subsidiary staff to manage grants and troubleshoot where challenges arise;
- Drafts reports for donors in collaboration with local subsidiary staff; includes organizing and updating the reporting calendar, ensuring all deadlines are met;
- In collaboration with the Director of Business Development, meets with and stewards local donors on a regular basis;
- Resolves donor concerns/complaints by investigating problems and developing solutions with subsidiary management;
- Coordinates with finance on the spending of grants.
Key Competencies and Skills
- Excellent written communication skills: Adept and persuasive writer; communicates information of a complex nature in a clear, precise, and compelling way; writes technical information in a way that a non-technical person can understand;
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality;
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with unexpected events;
- Dependable: Takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan;
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations.
- At least five years of experience, with priority placed on experience in international development, professional writing and editing, microfinance and/or financial inclusion, mobile technology companies;
- Knowledge of the microfinance and digital financial services sector particularly in the Africa Region;
- Experience working and living in East Africa, and familiarity with donors active in the region;
- Excellent networking skills;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Skype, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Identifies new funding and partner opportunities; stewards existing donors; proposal writing and budgeting; development of grant reports.
- Director Development Africa & MESA Region, FINCA Impact Finance; Subsidiary Management; Finance Team
- Availability to travel occasionally for events and on weekends.
- Ability to travel in economy class when traveling by air.
Compensation: Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and level of expertise.