Head of Supply chain & logistics
Deadline: 30 October 2017
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/resume and brief email introducing yourself with the subject line: Head of Supply Chain & Logistics
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: November 2017
About the Company:
AFRIpads Ltd. is a fast-growing social enterprise in Uganda that manufactures and sells reusable (washable) cloth sanitary pads as an impactful feminine hygiene solution for the millions of women and girls in East Africa and beyond. The company’s mission is to empower women and girls through business, innovation, and opportunity. Creating social impact is paramount to AFRIpads’ business objectives. Headquartered in Kampala, Uganda and with a manufacturing facility in southwestern Uganda, AFRIpads currently employs over 150 staff across both locations.
AFRIpads is looking for an experienced Head of Supply Chain & Logistics, with a strong background in global sourcing, Africa-based manufacturing (textiles preferred), and FMCG distribution in a challenging, developing-world context. AFRIpads is building a global brand and exports its products to over 25 countries in Africa and around the world. The position is a unique leadership role in a fast-paced SME, offering the opportunity to work at the front lines of manufacturing and distributing of a high-impact, Ugandan manufactured product.
The Head of Supply Chain & Logistics will oversee and manage both departments, but with a strong emphasis on building a highly efficient, value-driven supply chain. This includes identifying and building strong relations with suppliers based around the world, and a constant focus on improving the cost and planning of inputs (raw materials) for the company’s products. This position reports directly to the CEO.
- Develop an overall marketing and social media strategy for World Wild Ltd.
- Manage online brand and product campaigns to raise brand awareness.
- Build and execute the social media strategy, through content research, audience identification, bench marking, brand messaging and by conducting surveys.
- Establish the presence of socially-marketed products and services on the various online platforms and set up and continually improve on a strong sales funnel that leads to sales.
- Improve product marketability and profitability by researching, identifying, and capitalizing on market opportunities.
- Develop a timeline for generating and publishing content for various social media platforms.
- Stay up-to-date with changes in all social platforms ensuring maximum effectiveness.
- Train co-workers to use social media in a cohesive and beneficial way.
- Set up and optimize company pages on various platforms for the best visibility of the company’s social media content.
- Manage and improve the company website and webshop.
- Stay up-to-date on latest social media developments, consumer behaviors and trends; identify current and future opportunities and develop business cases, plans and proposals for implementing social media solutions.
Key Requirements & Skills
Oversee all operations-based activities in Kampala inclusive of procurement, supply chain, logistics and fleet management.
Identify and build relationships with ethical suppliers from around the world who can provide high quality and good value raw materials and machinery, in line with AFRIpads’ sustainability objectives.
Ensure best-practice negotiations for pricing and payment terms for all AFRIpads’ suppliers, maximizing end-to-end supply chain efficiency, eliminate waste from the value chain, and save costs Establish relationships with members of the media and pursue continuously regional and international opportunities for brand/product exposure and media coverage, including but not limited to print and digital media, conferences, and special events.
Coordinate with design department to continuously research and source new and improved raw materials to be used in AFRIpads’ products.
Collaborate with production and sales departments to order optimal quantities and of raw materials.
Manage all staff in these departments, with a focus on capacity building and professional development.
Oversee movement of goods pre-and post-production, ensuring compliance with government regulations on both import and export processes.
Provide regular updates to CEO and Senior Management Team on progress and challenges of department.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in global supply chain management and sourcing. Non-negotiable
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in global logistics management. Non-negotiable
- Experience in inventory and warehouse management
- Experience in textile manufacturing and raw material sourcing is a strong advantage
- Advanced analysis skills
- Advanced capability in MS Excel
- Ability to manage, train and empower a multi-cultural team of operational staff
- Strong references from past managers
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature
- A passion for economic growth in Africa and the AFRIpads mission
Additional Skills & Requirements
- Flexibility with shifting priorities and competing demands in a fast-paced, challenging work environment.
- Willingness to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends) and to travel within and outside Africa (min. 50% of the time).
- Commitment to the company’s mission and objectives, with a keen sensitivity to empower and enable value-conscious consumers through social enterprise.
Compensation & Benefits Package: AFRIpads is offering a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, and a 2-year contract with the opportunity of performance-based renewal.