New markets manager
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/resume and brief email introducing yourself with the subject line: New Markets Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: July 2017
About the Company
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. SafeBoda is a pre-series A Ugandan-based tech startup on a mission to make motorcycle taxis (bodas) more safe, affordable, and convenient across Sub-Saharan Africa — while providing a more meaningful and lucrative career for drivers. Backed by the Shell Foundation, Development Innovation Ventures USAID, the Global Innovation Fund, and an angel tech investor, SafeBoda is well off to the races: we have nailed the driver-side model with 1,000+ drivers and recently we launched our new Android mobile application with a strong +15% week-on-week growth.
About the Position
SafeBoda is looking for a New Markets Manager to oversee a new city pilot with the goal of launching operations in a second city. The ideal candidate will have both strong management and start-up experience - a rare combination of creative problem solving, detail orientation, and interpersonal ability to develop partnerships. The New Markets Manager will work closely with the founders of SafeBoda, and will play a pivotal role in shaping the company’s future. This requires a high-level of multi-tasking skills and start-up hustle to execute in a fast-growing start-up.
What were looking for:
- 4+ years of experience in management consulting, business, or at a start-up is preferred.
- Undergraduate degree with a strong demonstrated academic performance
- Experience launching a new business, product or service line, or expanding a company’s existing operations to a new market.
- Proven leadership ability and entrepreneurial grit
- Ability to structure problems, prioritize them, and execute
- Supreme communication skills, both written and spoken, and ability to communicate solutions to complex problems will be essential
- Data-driven and analytical
- Detail-oriented with superior organizational - balancing multiple projects, deadlines, and requests should be second nature to you
- Flexibility and positivity
- Passion for SafeBoda’s mission
- Lead a new city pilot, with the goal of expanding SafeBoda’s operations into the new market.
- Develop strategic plan and establish initial operations and key relationships
- On a daily basis, you are all things ops, project management, business development, HR, and government relations
- Collect data to make data-driven decisions for the business
- Reporting directly to SafeBoda senior leadership
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience