Application Deadline: 9 March 2018
How to apply: Email email@example.com with your CV/resume and brief cover letter or email introducing yourself with the subject line: Project Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: April 2018
About the Company
mindfullwe envisions a world in which any person, anywhere can not only access adequate services, but also provide those same services to treat mental illness. Our hope is to empower local persons to be on the ‘front-line’ of community healthcare. We provide people what they need to recover from common mental disorders via a range of simple to complex treatments in a step by step fashion. As the Project Manager, you will play an essential role in overseeing our ‘front-line’ mental healthcare while building and maintaining trust with our community. As a key contact, you will directly contribute to the success of mindfullwe’s inaugural program.
About the Position
Your opportunity is to establish mindfullwe as a legitimate community mental health care provider. We are seeking someone who has equal parts curiosity, persistence, and vision. Someone who is willing to traverse new territory, assume authorship, and work towards a common WHY of mental health for all. We are seeking a highly motivated, committed, and inspired individual that thrives in new environments and has a natural knack for leadership. You are driven by a set of values and can artfully share an anecdote on how mutual aid, hope, courage, impact, and/or (self)-compassion play a significant part in your life. You will support community health workers directly, work collaboratively with mindfullwe staff, primary health care workers, and our mental health specialist to ensure research is conducted in a professional and meticulous manner.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
As the Project Manager you provide direct current support to community health workers offering treatment to patients struggling with depression. You will engage in a several weeks long training, collaborate with primary health care workers and offer guidance, quality assurance, and supervision in overseeing successful stepped care implementation. In particular, in this role you will:
- Engage in a several weeks long training
- Participate in a variety of exercises (lecture, group work, role play, & individual reflection)
- Shadow our Founder & CEO, Pavel Reppo to assume all supervisory responsibilities while he is away
- Provide guidance and leadership to community health workers
- Supervise delivery of accurate, responsive, and person-centered psychosocial treatments (psychoeducation, antidepressant therapy, interpersonal psychotherapy, and referral to mental health specialist)
- Conduct weekly (or as needed) meetings for effective problem solving
- Build and maintain rapport with primary health care workers
- Build rapport with primary health care workers & integrate within Ndejje Health Center IV as main point of contact
- Follow-up with clinicians about individual cases and overall progress of program
- Screen patients who have symptoms of depression at general outpatient
- Offer written or verbal informed consent to all abiding patients
- Administer the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ 9)
- Administer the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI)
- Facilitate effective follow-up and support adherence with medications and when needed, refer patients to other agencies for specific social problems
- acilitate delivery of responsive interventions for prompt follow-up
- Implement effective strategies to address problems of adherence
- Identify and liaise with other agencies
- Ensure all requirements are met and exceeded for research purposes
- Ensure pilot program follows approved study protocol
- Gather sufficient data for process indicators
- Maintain open and consistent communication with TASO/UNCST
- Report protocol deviations or adverse events to TASO/UNCST
- Maintain the required standards of documentation
- Meet the clinical and safety standards of this program
- Maintain consistent levels of professionalism, ardent work ethic, and communication
NOTE: You will be required to travel to and from Aga Khan University to collaborate with Co-Investigator. This role may also involve light travel around Ndejje Heatlh Center IV to support patients who may have adherence challenges.
- You are motivated by positive social change and flourish in collaborative environments.
- Not only are you a fantastic communicator, you are an excellent listener and have the ability to lead a team with panache, humility, and professionalism.
- You are empathetic and have a knack for connecting with people in a nonjudgmental manner.
- You are personable, but will hold others accountable for lackluster performance.
- You cut to the heart of any situation and do so with sincerity and tact.
- You are patient, thorough, but also quick on your feet and are able to adapt to what the situation presents itself.
- You thrive with small-form problems and have a bias for solutions-oriented actions.
- You are able to balance a multitude of priorities and projects and can be relied upon to deliver quality results.
- You have a long-term perspective and inspire others to work towards this common goal.
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Bilingual in English and Luganda (Standard Language)
- Training will be administered in English, so fluency is a must!
- Confidence and experience applying theoretical/learned knowledge
- Ideally looking for someone with prior management experience
- Desire to leave a lasting legacy and put ‘we’ above ‘me’
Salary will be comparable to similar level positions within the health sector and includes additional monthly allowances. The position is for seven months, with potential to extend.